Wednesday, February 9, 2011

4 cakes and 4 frostings later

A friend from church has asked me to make some food for a bridal shower next week. One of the items she'd like me to make is chocolate cake balls. I have made them before, but just with whatever leftover cake and frosting I had at the time. This time, I went on a quest to find the best cake and frosting recipes. I only had a week and with two little ones, I could only try so many recipes. I did end up making 3 different cakes and 3 different frostings. I also made Dinosaur BBQ's (restaurant in Syracuse, NY) Dr. Pepper cake. Needless to say, I have not had a chocolate craving for a few days now! Ha ha!

My friend asked that the balls be pink, but I have never colored the coating before. So, I thought I'd play around with colors with some samples. The coating is just colored - not flavored.

Here are the samples I am going to bring to my friend tomorrow.
Pink: Blackout cake with whipped ganache frosting
Purple: Dr Pepper cake with Dr Pepper frosting
Blue: Blackout cake with tiramisu buttercream


I didn't get a big enough box to hold all the samples I needed to give my friend, so I used some cute, heart-shaped foil baking cups I found at Target (you can see them at the edge of the picture) to hold a serving of each sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment