I started researching various recipes and soliciting input from Dad. In the end, I used 2 cookbooks (Dino BBQ and Cook's Illustrated BBQ cookbook), 1 website (Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe) and Dad's input to get through.
I also made Dinosaur BBQ "Mutha" sauce, red onion pickles, bbq pasta salad and Dad's cole slaw. Christian talked me out of making the strawberry cream cake, so I just took 2 pounds of strawberries.
I had a lot of fun going through the smoking process and seeing/tasting the results. I tried documenting the process in pictures.
| On Friday night, I tied the roasts, rubbed them with oil and Dinosaur BBQ red rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap. |
| I was barely able to fit them all on the grill. I kept flipping and rotating them around. I smoked them for 5 hours. |
| After 5 hours, I wrapped them in foil and put them back on the grill. At that point, I got tired of tending to the temperature and moved them into the oven for another 4 or 5 hours. |
| The final yield (that is large roasting pan - for up to 25 pounds). The small bowl was for my sandwich. Yum! |
Did you think that 13 pounds was excessive? Well, luckily I tried out a sandwich Saturday night after I pulled the pork. I was the last person through the line for the dinner and I was barely able to scrape 2 tablespoons of meat scraps off the spoon - just enough to taste it and see that it was still moist! Yay! The Mutha sauce and strawberries were all gone, too. There were leftovers from the pickles (I made a triple batch), pasta salad and cole slaw, but I was very pleased with the outcome.
The whole dinner was great. People brought brisket, chicken and sausage, potato salad, cole slaw, beans, fruit salad, chips and desserts. There were 4 beautiful tossed salads that I didn't even get a chance to taste. We are very blessed with so many wonderful cooks. Each potluck is a great time of fellowship.
Dad - thank you for all your help!
Allison - the pickles were a BIG hit and lots of people asked for the recipe. Thank you!
How did the non-sweet coleslaw go over?
ReplyDelete