Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Wonderful Birthday BBQ

We felt the "itch" to have another "open invite" bbq again. It just happened to coincide with my birthday week. The first one was titled "Have Your Spiedies And Your Cake, Too!". If you are not familiar with it, we tried to have some friends over a few months ago and family after family had plans. We finally placed an open invitation on our church's website and had 23 people come. We called this one, "Have Your Spiedies And Your Cake II!" Ha ha. This time we had 30 people! Yikes! (For anyone reading this that is not familiar with what spiedies are, they are a regional food from the area of New York where I grew up. It is basically marinated meat grilled on skewers like kabobs. The marinade recipe is what makes this dish unique)
One of the most fun parts of the open invitation are the people who end up coming. We had such interesting guests with each bbq and as a result such great fellowship.
The cake for the first bbq was a "Paris-Brest Cake". It was a recipe that I was asked to test for America's Test Kitchen. I wanted to make it so I could submit feedback on the recipe, but didn't want to be left eating it all myself. So, the bbq was the perfect solution. This time, Christian designed and ordered a cake for me! It was beautiful and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment