Saturday, November 13, 2010

See, Camila? This is how you do it!!!

Erica got an early start on dinner tonight, so she got down early. Here's the project she decided to take on while we finished eating. (Camila is my friend's daughter who is also interested in helping her Mommy organize her cupboards)


For anyone interested, I ended up making a quadruple batch of kolaches for the women's brunch this morning. I made 3 fillings. I made the tomato basil filling again. I made 2 egg based fillings. Instead of scrambling the eggs over the double boiler, I basically made 2 quiches - just without a crust. I scooped the cooked custard out of the pie dishes, rolled it in a ball, rolled them in flour and put them on the dough that I had brushed with egg white. The 2 quiche flavors were quiche lorraine (bacon, gruyere, onion) and sausage (sausage, cheddar, green onion). The milk/cream in the quiche mix made the eggs perfectly smooth and soft. For the dough, I followed the ATK recipe again, but used bread flour (per a recipe I found online) and bloomed the yeast before mixing it in. The dough was much softer this time and rose beautifully. If I had a Czech grandmother, I guess she would be proud. Ha ha! The ladies really enjoyed them and one of them even threatened "ordering" some for Christmas. Yikes! I guess I better go to a real bakery and see what they are supposed to end up like. Ha ha!

1 comment: